Singeing process refers to burning-off the projecting fibres or loose fibres that are not firmly bound to the fabric surface.
Objectives of Singeing:
- This is done in order to remove the projecting/protruding fibres coming out from the fabric/yarn structure.
- To obtain a clean a smooth surface.
- To increase the lustre of the fabric.
- Fabrics that go through the singeing process allow printing highly complex designs on them.
- To prepare fabric for further proceedings.
Types of Singeing Machines:
- Plate Singeing Machine
- Gas Singeing Machine
- Roller Singeing Machine
About the Machines:
Plate Singeing Machine:
- Here, one side of the fabrics is burnt at a time.
- The fabric passes over one or two heated copper plates.
- The plates are heated with a suitable concentration of gas and air.
- The fabric goes through such a passage that one or both sides are singed.
Roller Singeing Machine:
- The fabric passes through the contact with a roller which may be made with copper or cast iron.
- The rotary cylinder is internally heater revolves at a slower rate.
- The direction or the cylinder is opposite to the direction of the fabric.
- Mostly used for singeing of Velvets.
- Both sides of the fabric can be singed.
Gas Singeing Machine:
- The most common type of Singeing Machine.
- Fabrics are burnt on both sides by using 2 burners both side.
- fabrics go though guide rollers into the gas burner.
- protruding fibres are burnt through the process.
- The temperature inside the burner is roughly 1300C.
- Both sides are brushed after burning.
- Fabric is then immersed into the water or desizing tank.